The Metro Washington
of the Deaf-Blind
| Home |
Mission Statement | Board
Members | Contact Us |
| Links | Membership Form | MWADB's History |
Upcoming MWADB Events
By Kari Getzinger, Recreational / Social / Cultural Chair
For rides or SSPs (interpreter / guide), contact
Beth Lucey at e-mail <MeDeafie@aol.com>
(if you have no e-mail, call Mindy Frankel at 301- 656-4883 v/tty)
Saturday, June 1: 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Wheaton Regional Park, Camp Site "G"
We look forward to our annual picnic to see old friends and meet new ones, have lunch, and play games. People should begin to gather at 11 AM, the picnic lunch will start at 12 noon, and games will follow.
Contact Peggy Johnson at least a week before the picnic, and tell her what you are bringing (410-247-5045 V/TTY; email <RevPink@aol.com>). We will need: hamburgers; veggie burgers; hotdogs; rolls; charcoal; foil; utensils; catsup; mustard; relish; papers plates; cups; napkins; plastic ware (forks, knives, spoons); salads; veggies; deviled eggs; baked beans; potato chips; desserts; sodas; ice; trashbags; paper towels.
1) take Georgia Avenue (Rt. 97) north from the beltway;
2) turn right on Shorefield Road (first light after Arcola and before
reaching Randolph Road);
3) Shorefield dead-ends in the park. The picnic shelter is G (the same one we always use) It is handicap accessible and near the restrooms,
playground, train and carousel.
Deaf Heritage Day at Six Flags of America
10:30 AM Saturday, June 15
This will be a lot of fun. There will be interpreters all over the
park. The cost will be $16.65 each per person.
SUCCESS! Kari negotiated with Six Flags, and SSPs are free (one SSP for each deaf-blind person). However, deaf-blind members who want to come with free SSP must purchase their tickets ahead of time. If you're deaf-blind and want to come:
1. Write a check made out to "Kari Getzinger" for $16.65 for each deaf-blind person and send the check to Kari to arrive by May 29 at: Kari Getzinger, 5303 Strathmore Avenue, Kensington, MD 20895-1121
If you do not send your money by May 29, you will have to buy your ticket at the gate and pay for your SSP's ticket. For more information (or to see if your check arrived), contact Kari at <KgnfOnWheels@aol.com> or 301 946 2962 (voice).
2. Contact Beth Lucey at <MeDeafie@aol.com> or Mindy Frankel 301- 656-4883 (v/tty) to arrange for a ride or SSP.
NOTE: if you want to be sure you will have an SSP before you pay for your ticket, contact Beth by May 10 to request an SSP, and she will let you know if she can find one by May 25 so that you can send payment for your ticket by deadline May 29.
NOTE: If any SSPs are willing to come to Six Flags for the day,
or if deaf-blind people know someone willing to be their SSP at Six Flags, be sure to tell Beth immediately or a.s.a.p.!
3. Meet Kari at the main gates of Six Flags at 10:30 AM Saturday, June 15 to get your pre-paid ticket and a free ticket for your SSP. If you arrive late, you can pick up your pre-paid ticket and SSP ticket at the gate.
Directions: Six Flags is on Central Avenue about 5 miles east of the DC beltway. From the beltway (I-495 / 95) take exit 15A (Route 214 East), go 5 miles and watch for Six Flags America on the left. Their phone is 301-249-1500, web site is www.sixflags.com.
| Back to Top | Next | Back | Switch to Graphical Version |